Monday, January 5, 2009

Realism

The new year is a time for reflecting, making resolutions, and hoping you can stick to them. I generally don't like making resolutions because at the end of the year, if I feel I haven't really met them, I get a bit down about failure and all. But of course, my resolutions are always things like, be a better person, quit being so judgmental, be a better teacher....things I amazingly never live up to by the end of the year. So this year, I made concrete resolutions. But I'm not sharing them here. Because this blog is about my running. And my current goals were envisioned about 7 months ago. So they don't apply.

But some reflection and realism do apply. There is just no way I'm going to do an ultra this year. If I lived in the States, yes, sure, probably. But I don't live in the States and I've never even run a freakin' marathon. It's hard to do things here and I can't be out running past 6 pm. Or before 6 am. (Daylight) But that's not all of it. It's a pain in the ass to go to a gym and fill in or do strength training. A little company would be great, but other than Tim on a run here and there, I can't drag anyone out on this crusade with me. So, I'm letting the ultra go. For this summer. It's still something I'm utterly fascinated by and want to make a real attempt at--but I think I need to make sure I can first train for a marathon.

And so, with the new year, resolutions, reflections and reaslim, my goal has been set. I want to run the Leadville Trail Marathon on July 11th. It's the only trail marathon I can find when I know I will for sure be in Colorado. I've not yet registered because I decided this yesterday and have not yet sat down to the computer with credit card in hand. But I will soon. Even though my bib will read something like, 005. I just need to get it done. Make it real. Make it happen. Be something to work for. Something huge to me.

3 comments:

Team Clancy said...

I just found your site and love it. I started running about a year ago, and then took several months off when my husband's mom got sick and passed away. BUT, I am back at it and determined to stick with it. I finished my first 5K last summer and considering an 8K in March. Thanks for having a site like this!

zircon said...

Awsome goal Erin. Maybe we'll be in the neighborhood to cheer you on. best of luck in your training and preparation. That's really the fun part. At least at your current elevation you'll be well prepared for Leadville.

Erin said...

Thank you for the comments! Russ, it would be awesome to see you guys out there. But if you're planning to be there anyway.....it sounds like a worthy race you should perhaps consider? I'm just sayin...
And "Team Clancy," welcome and thanks for checking in! Do the 8k. Because you can and it'll be a great feeling to accomplish it.