Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Great Protein Challenge

In addition to trying the Hydration Challenge (and wow, is it challenging!), I am going to try the Protein Challenge. What is the challenge?

Eat protein and veggies for a straight week. Exclusively.

Well. With some berries thrown in. I can have 60g of carbs a day.
Apparently, this is supposed to lube up my joints really nicely. The docs think my body is so inflamed and messed up that it's mimicking arthritis. And I guess this is diet recommended for arthritics.

I don't know how much I actually buy into stuff like that. Whole grains are good. But maybe it's better to teach your body how to burn fat and not rely on carbs for fuel?

What I do know is that my goal is fiercely important to me--I need to get fixed so that I can run. So I'm willing to try just about anything. This challenge will be particularly odd for me. I have NEVER tried to stick to a diet (starving aside), do a cleanse, or anything of that nature. I always thought I wouldn't have the will-power or that I eat pretty well as is, so why bother? If this doesn't lube my joints, doesn't make me feel better, yadda yadda yadda--then what it will at least do is break me of my sugar habit which is probably the best thing I could do for myself right now.

So here's to sashimi, bunless cheeseburgers, whey shakes, and lots of eggs.
Bottoms up.
Full report to follow in a week.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Sounds like the Atkins diet. I hope it helps lube you up....i suppose that means no wine. will you survive? ;-)

Erin said...

Hardy har. It's only for one week. Aaaaannnnnddd, I'm allowed one glass per night :-)