Wednesday, June 18, 2008

A Milestone?

Well, the good news is that I have not yet fallen off the treadmill (although I did trip the other day and made a wretched squeaking noise that did boast a few stares), but even better than that I ran my first 2 miles in a row without stopping!! Since I have started reading more about this whole running thing I have come to find out that this is actually a pretty big step, and that the 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc miles are easier to add (any confirmation on this from you ladies?)

Whatever the verdict I was pretty proud of myself. I am now on a semi-schedule which unfortunately has to be somewhat flexible because of my hectic life of happy hours and evening events in the big city. What I don't think I realized before is that this whole training thing has to be kinda varied (apparently just grunting out 5K every time I go to the gym is not the best choice), so I have devised a plan to have a long run day (6 slow miles!! fingers crossed), a short run day (2 miles that I now know I can do), and an interval day. This plan is straight from the experts at runnersworld.com (and at my sister's suggestion that I start there). Just for fun I have thrown in a pilates class and a swim day. I know it sounds ambitious (or at least it does to me) but while there is an option for training every day of the week actually getting there is up in the air.

As for the bouncing girls...I have kept my fingers to myself so far and am going to go bra hunting this weekend.....

1 comment:

Erin said...

Nice job, Megan! Sticking with is paying off!
You're right, running more than a mile consecutively is a big milestone--mostly because now you "know"you can do it. It's those mental hurdles that are often biggest in the begining.
Varying the running is definitely a good idea. Not only is it good for you, it'll keep you interested too. However, for your long run, I would start with 4 miles and work up because you were talking about knee and back pain. If you suddenly jump into 6, which is a pretty significant distance, you might hurt yourself. If 4 is okay, try 5 next time, and so on. I'd also suggest you go over to that park with the dirt trails for the long run. Since it'll be a bit of a mental hurdle of it's own, you should make it as pleasant as possible--then you'll look forward to it! Okay okay, enough from the peanut gallery over here. Have a lovely day, sis.