Friday, June 6, 2008

If you stop moving the treadmill will kick you off...

And no one wants to be that dumbass at the gym

So after a bit of encouragement from my sis, I have decided to jump on board with this whole blog thing. A small disclaimer first; I have always admired anyone who can slip on the sneaks and go; someone who gets that euphoric high while putting the miles behind them. As for myself, well the title says it all....

Three weeks ago (and only because my decrease in rent made it affordable) I joined a gym here in DC, and since then I have been going about 3 days a week to try and mold my body into some kind of shape (preferable one that is not as round). I decided on running as my main event because I can actually feel it working...when the sweat rolls down my back I know I have accomplished something. The couple of things I forgot to consider were:
1. I have huge breasts and running kinda hurts the girls (and the said sweaty back) as well as draws uninvited stares from the mens (any advice on places to find sports bras?)
2. I have knee problems (IT band issues I think?).
3. My lungs do not want to cooperate.

Determined to not make excuses, I have/am learned/learning how to overcome these issues, and luckily enough I chose a gym that is on my route home from work so the guilt of walking by without going in is enough to keep my attendance fairly high.

So that is where I am at....going to the gym, jumping on the treadmill, putting one foot in front of the other, wondering how long I have to do this before it becomes something I enjoy.

Any advice for this novice is welcome! My goal? I would love to be able to run a 5K in 30 minutes by the end of the summer. I am doing it in around 40 right now.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Welcome Meggie! I hope that when Whitney emerges from the woods (not a pun though her last name is Woods), she'll have some advice for that goal. For now, you can go to runnersworld.com where you can make a customized training plan. That's probably the best way. It will tell you how to vary your distance, etc. I also noticed today on the homepage, right-hand side, they have a features section for your first 5k--might be worth a look. Now about those girls. . . hopefully someone our there in internet land finds our blog and has some advice for you. I'm sure you've tried everything I could think to tell you. And if doods are staring at you, your could always lick your lips or pucker up or something, so they know they're being assholes? I've been known to flip people off for staring at me before, but I don't advise this approach.