Monday, July 7, 2008

Running on empty...

I am happy to report that for the past few weeks (since my last post) I have successfully incorporated a long run day as a part of my weekly routine. I did have to change my level of ambition from the 6 miles to as many miles as I can handle in an hour (so far this has been about 5). With this added day, I am running three days a week and feeling fantastic! So fantastic in fact that by the time the weekend rolls around I usually celebrate till the wee hours of the morning...case in point this past weekend where I hit the town like a 21 year old champ staying out, dancing, and doing all those things girls do when they go out with their girlfriends (and I mean real girlfriends, not the gays!). Needless to say this party hardy until 3am has got me feeling like my long run always hits on the absolute wrong day...Monday.

Now the obvious thought would be to move the long run day, but it just won't work on any other day during the week; the second option would be to not drink like a fish on the weekends, and while this is a great goal (and I promise, I don't drink nearly as much as I used to) I wanted running to add to my life not take away (unless you mean take away from the belly which I of course welcome); third option (and the one I am doing as I type) is drink as much water as possible at work, have a protein snack right before I workout and tuff it out. Suggestions are always welcome....

To end on a positive note, this long run day is making my interval day very very easy....I am running hard for 1 min and jogging for 2 for a half hour. Last week I was able to do the hard min. at 7.5 mph!!

1 comment:

Erin said...

It's so exciting to see your progress. And 5 miles for a long run is great. So happy you're feeling so good and reaping the benefits! I personally move the long run around by a day or two depending on weekend plans. If I know there's a huge party Saturday, I take it easy Friday night and do the long run before partying (and subsequently feel better about myself). Usually my long day is Sunday, but if you party hardy on Saturday, that's just not going to work. I would say you should make your long day whatever you're most likely to keep. If you find you start missing Mondays because you don't feel up to it, change the day. If you're going all out Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights, well, consider the monetary benefits of cutting one of those nights out and doing your long run the next morning. Lastly, Go Megan!!