Friday, May 8, 2009

Need Oxygen

The good news, no, the great news is that I don't need surgery.
Neither does Tim, if anyone was wondering.

In fact, nothing much is really wrong with me. I have some liquid in there, and inflammation and lack of blood flow.

The bad news is that I probably won't be able to really get back to running until we leave Quito. I just can't get enough oxygen here to fully heal. I've so far been to 3 of my 10 prescribed physical therapy sessions and nothing has yet changed. I'm also considering acupunture to try to stimulate blood-flow. But the guy requires a 10 session commitment. All the cabbing really adds up!

So, goals are being shelved. That was the hardest part. I wanted to do something really big for myself for my 30th birthday, but I can't. At least, not what I wanted to do, anyway.

I'll still participate in the 15k here--a combo of running and walking, sporting this year's much cooler school team uniform. I also plan to participate in the 4k on the 4th in Boulder. If you havn't registered, DO IT!! Beyond that, I'll just be looking at 5 and 10ks, I guess. Which is fine with me now--even enjoyable. I won't have to train hard.

At this point, I'm only allowing myself some mild disappointment--looking down the barrel of 7 more weeks of waiting. My friend began chemo this week to fight a brain tumor. And when you consider that, much else ceases to be important. I'm not going to allow myself to wallow. I can still walk. I can still run even, especially when I get back to a normal altitude (Quito is at 10,000 ft. if you didn't know).

And I will still be able to do so many wonderful things in Boulder this summer. Oh, how I've missed it all! So now I'm focusing on the good things to come. I'll run this summer, but it won't be the center of my world. My friends and being outside in some Colorado sunshine will be my focus and it will be excellent!

No comments: