Sunday, March 15, 2009

Gait Analysis: Last Ditch Effort

Tim and I are going to DC this week for his cousin's wedding. While there, I'm making one last attempt to heal in time to train for this marathon. I'm looking for a store where I can have a gait analysis--I'm worried I've got pronation issues and either need orthotics or different shoes or both.

When we get back from DC marks the date that I can still begin the training plan with enough time before the race. Currently, I'm running about 3 days a week, swimming two. My knee hurts me off and on, but not during running, which makes me think I must be re-doing something while running, and it hurts later because it gets inflamed. For about a week before I started running again, it was totally fine--didn't hurt at all. Now it seems to be coming back. That's why I think I may be re-injuring with my foot-plant and shoes.

At this point, I need a miracle cure--and shoes/orthotics might be it. If not, I'm going for that MRI to see if surgery is the only option left.

I'm getting to a point where I'm okay with what's going to happen. I don't think it's permanent--it can be cured. And while I might not reach my 30th birthday goal I set for this year, there's still plenty of things I can do in my 30th year of life (and beyond)--including the Intercontinental Marathon in Istanbul in October. I can run from Europe to Asia in one race. And that's rad. I also still plan on doing several shorter races in Colorado this summer. I can certainly get my fix that way too, and just work on the distance from there.

I still have hope and a good outlook. I'm thankful for what I'm able to do with my body and so I can be patient with whatever hiccup it's having right now. It'll be okay.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

how did the analysis go?