Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The Chick Factor

I remember, during high school and college cross country, different instances where boys (okay, men?) would be talking amongst themselves about this or that race coming up and talking about how they were probably going to do really well because this hot chick they were interested in/dating/acquainted with was going to be there. Literally, the exchange would go something like this, "dude, I'm gonna kill it this weekend."
"Oh yeah? Why's that?"
"You know, cuz of the chick factor and all."
"Yeah, totally."

I think the chick factor for *most* American men extends really to any female in the vicinity. And it doesn't just refer to wanting to perform well in front of some particular woman to impress her. It also seems to have something to do with being better than any particular woman. I can't even count how many times I've been out on the trail in the States, passed some dude running--no matter the size/age/fitness of the dude because I've experienced this same thing with all of them--and that dude obviously immediately speeds up so I can't pass or passes me back often to simply end up walking 5 minutes later. Now, this of course, does not apply to every man in the States. In fact, my own husband does not mind and is even proud and supportive when I beat him running. But there is no denying this is a general trend. It seems almost pervasive.

Once, Tim and I were having dinner with one of his guy friends when we ran into one of our girlfriends. Tim's friend was obviously interested--our girlfriend is good looking, friendly, intelligent and charming. He was interested...until he heard she was a great climber. He said, "oh, I could never date someone who climbs harder than me." This guy has not climbed since high school.
Really?
He hasn't been climbing since high school, yet he would not consider dating a girl who climbs often and is quite good, because she would be better than him and he couldn't handle that. This is just one example.

I assumed all men all over the world were this way. I especially thought it to be true of a more macho society. Imagine my surprise when, still, every time I'm running uphill on the trail and pass a guy on a bike, he just keeps going at his same pace. No speed up. No oh-my-god-a-girl-is-beating-me-AND-I'm-on-a-bike surge up the hill. Nothing. Many men in the States would simply implode with the shame of being passed by a girl on foot. This seems to go for men out running here as well. Plenty of times I've passed men running and they give NO notice to me. No one tries to beat me. No one tries to hang onto my pace.

I can't help but wonder what lies beneath these two societies that brings out these attitudes of better/not better. On the one hand, we have a society where women have ALMOST the same freedoms and rights as men--at least we say we do. Yet men will give themselves heart attacks to prove they can run/bike/swim/climb/whatever better than any given woman. On the other hand you have a society where women have far fewer freedoms and rights than men and really can't even walk around by themselves without being harassed by men. Yet men in this society don't care if a woman beats them in some measure of athletic prowess. Why is that? Is it because they don't need validation? They already *know* they're "better" and don't need to prove it to the world? Why do men in the States feel like they have to prove themselves in this way?

This is just one of the many things I get lost in while I'm out on the trail.

No comments: